Wednesday, November 2, 2011

How I Met My Husband

"There were women just waiting and waiting by mailboxes for one letter or another. I imagined me making this journey day after day and year after year, my hair starting to go gray, and I thought, I was never made to go on like that." pg 146
How I Met My Husband
Alice Munro


For this story, I am going to answer question 6:
 "Can you detect the voice of an older, wiser Edie who is distinct from the young girl working for Dr. and Mrs. Peebles?"
This story is mainly a reminiscent one because the narrator Edie says things such as, "I didn't know how to joke back then," and, "I was slimmer at fifteen that anybody would believe who knows me now."  Quotes like these show that Edie is wiser and older, looking back on a past event, possibly telling children or grandchildren the story of how she met her husband.
At the beginning of the story, Edie is portrayed as innocent because she fell for an older man, Chris, and she didn't understand what intimacy was. She was a girl that was in love with/infatuated with Chris who accepted her even though she was a "hired girl," and who also called her beautiful, so "out of the common for a man to say something like that to a woman."  Though the two only met a few times, Edie had hope that he would send her letters and that they would maybe end up together one day.  Toward the end, though, reality struck Edie. She began to mature when she decided that she wouldn't waste her life waiting around for a man she hardly knew. The message of this story is that if you sit around waiting for the perfect moment, it just might pass you by. Basically, don't waste away time waiting for something to happen, do something about it.  When she realized that she couldn't spend her time waiting around for something that would never come, she let go the part of her that was a naive young girl.

2 comments:

  1. Life comes with different experiences i don't know what you have experience but this is my short testimony, i am happy typing this because i have peace in my marriage again and all thanks to a great man called Dr Ajayi, he is a powerful spell caster that help reconcile the dispute between me and my husband with a love spell, my husband left home and live another woman for 7 months without caring for me and our 4 years daughter, financially i am fine because i am a banker but i need the tender care of a man but my husband is nowhere close, i beg him to come back home several times but nothing work, i even asked his elder brother to help me. I read testimony of a man who described how Dr Ajayi helped him stop his wife from divorcing with love spell so i took his contact and explained my problems to him, he told me what is needed for a love spell and i gave him finance to purchase them in three days time my husband came back home. Contact : Viber / WhatsApp: +2347084887094 or Email : drajayi1990@gmail.com for any problem bothering your heart and he will get them solve for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To anyone out there who thinks love spells don't work, I’m here to tell you that Lord Zakuza love spell is the best and most powerful. I am a wealthy man who has lots of assets and possessions but I have difficulty with women. Whenever I try to settle down with any, we end up breaking up and I had no idea of why I was going through such an experience in my relationship. It was so worrying that I couldn’t be myself anymore and I started searching for help everywhere even at my place of work. I was going through my work activities online and I came across a testimony of a lady called ( Febe Anouk ) regarding how Lord Zakuza helped her to restore her relationship with his love spell, I had to give it a try because I needed my Ex lover back that I love so much. I visited Lord Zakuza website online and I told him everything I was going through. Lord Zakuza consoled me and promised to help me out with my situation by preparing a love spell for me. I followed the instructions given by him to me and within 48 hours, my Ex lover came looking for me and pleaded for forgiveness. Since I came in contact with Lord Zakuza, things have changed for good in my life and right now, I am married with two beautiful kids and my home is blessed. All thanks to Lord Zakuza I am forever thankful to you. Visit his website for any help via lordzakuzaspells.com or WhatsApp him on +1 740-573-9483. Try him and your life will be blessed.

    ReplyDelete