Wednesday, June 29, 2011

It's a Mad Mad World

"Horrible; precisely," said the Controller. "Our ancestors were so stupid and short-sighted that when the first reformers came along and offered to deliver them from those horrible emotions, they wouldn't have anything with them." pg. 45

So while I was reading chapter three I came to realize that the meaning of love in this year of A.F. 632 is very different. Mond believes that marriage and parenting are the roots of evil in society, so such relationships are regarded as immoral. The quote above reinforces the idea that love is a silly concept that only creates instability within society.  I disagree with this idea because I can't imagine a world without parents or marriage or old couples walking around. I think this futuristic society is striving for an impossible goal. It seems they try to eliminate every miniscule defect in society to create some unattainable perfect world. I found a quote that was repeated quite a lot in the chapter--"Ending is better than mending. The more stitches, the less riches; the more stitches..." I'm wondering if this is how problems are resolved--by simply discarding/ending ideas that can impede on the perfect utopia. Rather than mend the problem, why not just throw it out and create all new rules? Is that how this world is being run? I can't imagine that idea being remotely successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment