Friday, July 8, 2011

Answers

"Happiness has got to be paid for. You're paying for it, Mr. Watson-paying because you happen to be too much interested in beauty. I was too much interested in truth; I paid too." pg 228


I finally understand this society better now. Mustapha Mond explains why the world is the way it is, and why they want people to be happy. I think this may be the "Aha" moment in the book. I still find it sad that they had to choose between happiness and beauty--Mond said they couldn't have both. So maybe our world isn't always the happiest, but at least we have beauty. Just look at that picture to the right! These people don't have religion, art, nature, or anything like that. Their lives may be "happy" but they're only conditioned to think so. Also, I found it interesting that Mond said, "Science is dangerous; we have to keep it most carefully chained and muzzled," because I was under the impression that science was a source of stability in this world, but really, science can even be an enemy. New discoveries could turn its back on everything this society's accomplished. Well maybe this society is 'stable' according to its definition of stable, but I cannot imagine that it'll always be that way--there are many things that could interfere with its stability-science itself, human error, human emotions. I doubt the book will go that far into the future, but that's just my prediction.

No comments:

Post a Comment