Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Frankenstein vs Preconceived Ideas

"Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it" (68).

I have to say that now that we have reached the halfway point in the novel, the way that Frankenstein is portrayed in movies and such is way different from the novel. Having seen Young Frankenstein, I can see how deeply misleading this movie is now that I've read most of the novel. Though Young Frankenstein was mainly made to satirize the story of Frankenstein, it gave me many preconceived notions regarding the novel. First--I thought the creature's name was Frankenstein. Is that just me? I just always assumed that. Secondly--The creature itself is portrayed in a completely different manner. In the movie, the creature is rather unintelligent and it just grunts rather than actually speaking. The novel's creature is extremely intelligent with a wide vocabulary. I never expected the creature to be able to actually speak with Victor so easily with such ease. The only similarity between the two creatures in the book and movie is that they are both gigantic and horrifying to look at. Overall, the movie portrays the story much different from the book. I never expected that Frankenstein would be a frame story or that it would include background on Victor's family life. However, the most disappointing difference between the two is that Igor is not in the book. He would provide for some much needed comic relief if he was in the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment