Monday, April 23, 2012

Wuthering Heights: Characterization

"I only wish I knew the best way! Let me alone, and I'll plan it out: while I'm thinking of that I don't feel pain" (61).

Since Hindley had Heathcliff locked up and away from all the fun, Heathcliff wants to seek vengeance on Hindley. I feel like the novel is going to be a lot of Heathcliff and Hindley wanting revenge on one another. Hindley wants revenge because Heathcliff has invaded his life and Heathcliff wants revenge because of the way that Hindley shuns him from the rest of the family like he does not belong. This is one of those families where no one is ever actually happy and there's always some argument over something it seems like.

Anyway, Mrs. Dean seems to be the one that Heathcliff confides in much of the time. He initially told her about his jealousy of Edgar and now he is telling her about how he plans to seek vengeance on Hindley. Mrs. Dean serves as a person of advice but I can't help but feel like she contradicts herself. When Heathcliff tells her that he just wants to "pay Hindley back" Mrs. Dean immediately is appalled and tells him "It is for God to punish wicked people; we should learn to forgive" (60-61).
When Mrs. Dean was describing the first meeting of Heathcliff she even claimed that she hated him the same as Hindley did. Yet in this moment she is looking out for him and warning him against what he plans to do. If she hates him why does she care? These characters are all complicated to me at this point.

1 comment:

  1. You finally allowed me to realize how Nelly was actually in this story (somehow I missed it). I completely agree about this whole revenge thing that the "H" brothers have in common though.

    ReplyDelete