Monday, April 23, 2012

Wuthering Heights: Conflict

"Miss Cathy and he were now very thick; but Hindley hated him: and to say the truth I did the same; and we plauged and went on with him shamefully: for I wasn't reasonable enough to feel my unjustice, and the mistress never put in a word on his behalf when she saw him wronged" (38).

From the moment that Hindley meets his new adopted brother Heathcliff, he hates him. I think it's partially due to the fact that everyone turns their attention toward Heathcliff and forgets about Hindley. No one seems to take Hindley's side except for his mother and when she dies he is left to fend for himself. However, after the death of Mr. Earnshaw, Hindley seems to sort of regain power. When he returns from school with his wife, he still condemns Heathcliff and acts like he is an animal with no heart. At this point all I can think about is the Lion King because I'm pretty sure the relationship is similar to Scar and Mufasa. Basically, Hindley is like Scar because he is jealous of Heathcliff (Musfasa) and he wants to be the king/owner of the estate. I predict that Hindley will seek revenge on Heathcliff at some point in the novel. As for now, I think the two are foils of one another just like Mufasa and Scar. Except for at this point, I can't decide if I consider Heathcliff to be "the good guy."

1 comment:

  1. I would give this blog extra credit simply because you added a Lion King reference that actually fits.

    ReplyDelete