Friday, August 12, 2011

Apologies

"The main thing is, I kept you and Tommy apart." Her voice had dropped again, almost to a whisper. "That was the worst thing I did." pg 232

Ruth finally apologizes for all her past actions, but one in particular: keeping Kathy and Tommy apart. It's about time!! She decides to admit her wrongdoings mainly because she is close to 'completing.' I'm glad she tells the truth, because it shows Ruth isn't totally evil. She does care about other people, she just seems to have a hard time of showing it. And so since she cannot ever life the life she dreamed of (working in a office, or anything beyond that), she convinces Kathy to be Tommy's carer, so they can later get a deferral...maybe.

Even though I was not really a fan of Ruth, it was still very sad when she died. She had to face an inevitable fate, like all the other students at Hailsham, but it seemed to be especially hard for her. I'm glad she finally came to terms with her past actions, and said sorry though. I'm sure neither Tommy or Kathy will forget Ruth, because in a way, she has brought them together, because she convinced them to finally be with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment