Friday, August 12, 2011

Motivation

"He'd then persuaded Keffers to give him one of the little balck notebooks he scribbled his figures in, and since then, Tommy had finished at least a dozen of his fantastic creatures." pg 178

Tommy has a lot of theories. He's still very interested in all the mysteries at Hailsham, and this quote proves that he hasn't forgotten about the art Gallery. Tommy's motivation for drawing pictures is the deferral, I believe. Tommy thinks that the deferral and art are linked--Somehow the art reveals your soul and who you are inside, which gives you a better chance of getting a deferral or something like that. What I don't understand is how Tommy thinks he is going to submit his artwork. It is not like Madame comes to the Cottages to collect things for the Gallery. Those days are over. So I don't really understand Tommy's logic completely.

I almost cannot believe that Tommy is still so concerned and obsessed with the Gallery idea. I mean, does it really matter anymore? I'm pretty sure now that they are at the Cottages, their time with Hailsham is officially over. Yet Tommy does not let it go, he still has theories, and he wants the mysteries to be solved. I guess this reflects the title Never Let Me Go, because these teens have a hard time letting anything go. I can't really blame him though I guess, I'd be confused if I were him too..

Sigh, at this point in the book, all I really want is for Tommy and Kathy to be together. I am pretty sure chapter 15 just screams that they are meant for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment