Wednesday, August 10, 2011

But What Does It Mean?

"'Listen, Tommy, your art, it is important. And not just because it's evidence. But for your own sake. You'll get a lot from it, just for yourself." pg 108

Though I have read this book before, I can honestly say I have forgotten the meaning behind the student's artwork. So, what is Miss Lucy saying? Why did she insist that Tommy should forget about trying to be good at art, but then turn around and decide that art was suddenly extremely important?  Though Miss Lucy is one of the few characters I like in the book, she just does not make sense sometimes. I'm now eager to get to the end of this book, because I know that's where all the answers are...(Maybe this will serve as motivation for me to get these blogs done faster..)

Also, Miss Lucy's disappearance at the end of part one is questionable. I'm pretty sure she fled because she could not take stand to watch the children go through their lives only to be used later for organ donations. I wouldn't doubt that it would be hard to watch innocent, good students have to give up their life for the sake of science. Poor kids. The only upside to this situation is that the students have the option to be a carer, though that doesn't always last long. Donation is sad concept really, because it benefits one person, while the other is left usually lifeless or fatally ill. (Unless it's like a kidney) But you cannot really save a life without losing one first in this situation. It's a hard life for organ donators.

No comments:

Post a Comment