Tuesday, August 9, 2011

One Big Happy Family

"When I found myself alone, I'd stop and look for a view...any view so long as there were no people in it. I did this so that I could, for a few seconds at least, create the illusion the place wasn't crawling with students, but that instead Hailsham was this quiet, tranquil house where I lived with just five or six others." pg 90

To escape Hailsham's confines, the students often seem to turn to fantasy type thoughts. Ruth made her 'secret guard' fantasy world, and Kathy in the above quote explains she too often imagined being somewhere else. Deep down, it looks like the kids just want to lead a normal childhood with a family. At this point, these children have no connections with their family or parents, if they even have one. Now that I think about it...Do these children even have parents? I never really thought about it before. I mean they must, right...? In A Brave New World they didn't because they were all genetically engineered, but Never Let Me Go doesn't seem to explain so in depth regarding their infant life. Interesting...

Even though the students don't have connections to their early life, they are still one big family at Hailsham.  The guardians are like the parents, and the students like the children in a way. Even though they don't have blood brothers and sisters surrounding them, they have great friends that support them throughout their time at Hailsham.  And Kathy often mentions Ruth and Tommy in her 'present' dialogue, so it shows that even through all the donations, and growing up, the kids all remain together...kinda like a family. They are always there for each other.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment