Friday, August 12, 2011

Time To Go

"Okay," I said. Then I stood up and stretched out my arms. "Maybe we'll take more. Fifteen, twenty even. Yeah we'll go see her. What can she do to us? We'll go and talk to her." pg 245

Kathy and Tommy are finally seeking Madame for some answers to the questions they've been theorizing over the entire novel. I know I've read this book before, but I've forgotten every detail, so this part is still suspenseful for me. Ishiguro creates suspense by creating mysteries early on in the book--such as the Gallery, artwork, and concept of deferrals. The reader waits the entire book until Kathy and Tommy leave to find the answers they've been searching for for so long. A few clues are placed along the way, but not very many. Then in the last chapters, everything will be explained! The ending of this book will be pretty similar to A Brave New World, because they both explain the reasoning behind the science experiments occurring.

So right now, I've just finished chapter twenty-one, when Kathy and Tommy have entered Madame's house and spoken briefly with her. Nothing is for certain yet, but Madame is treating Kathy and Tommy like they are a bit nuts. Madame's attitude foreshadows that Kathy and Tommy may be in a for a bit of a surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment