Monday, August 8, 2011

Never Let Me Go: Here We Go Again

"My name is Kathy H. I'm thirty-one years old, and I've been a carer now for over eleven years." pg. 3

So, I have actually read this book before. I started reading it last December and it actually took me about three months to get through it because I got distracted, and because it was just interesting enough to keep reading, but it didn't have enough action for me to finish it quickly. It was weird. I know how it ends and all that, so this will be interesting re-reading it and making blogs. Just thought I'd put that out there.

There is also a movie for this book.
I think I might watch it sometime
Okay, so
First off, Ishiguro is a lot more direct than Huxley was. The first sentence is already way different than A Brave New World. This book is a lot easier to read than A Brave New World too. Ishiguro directly characterizes Kathy by using the first person point of view, so there is not really any guessing about Kathy's actions because we get the firsthand account of all her thoughts and such. From the first chapter, it's obvious that the book is somewhat like a memoir. It's a collection of stories and Kathy is looking back on her past. Her relationships with Tommy and Ruth are unraveling and the rest of the novel will be focused on her past life at Hailsham, and life as a carer. (Spoilers)

Anyway, this novel kinda reminds me of a book I read in middle school called Running Out Of Time. In that book, a young girl, Jessie, lived a 1800s civilization lifestyle (similar to Connor Prairie), when it was actually 2010 in the world outside of her. She was just living in a museum exhibit, while children on field trips observed her and her family. The people living in the colony with her ended up contracting an illness, and so she was forced to look for medicine to save them. After discovering that she was living in an exhibit from her father, she was sent off to search for medicine in the real world. On the other hand, Kathy lives in a sheltered boarding school her entire life, and she gets a taste of reality when she leaves Hailsham. Never Let Me Go parallels Running Out Of Time in that both Kathy and Jessie are forced into the real world after being confined to one location all their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment